Saturday, April 12, 2014

The Lion King, Frozen and Piper

When I think about a Disney movie the Biblical concepts of humility, love, community, and selflessness do not immediately come to mind. Growing up one of my favorite Disney movies was The Lion King. You know the movie with all of the Swahili names, "Pride" Rock, catchy sing along tunes (you know you're singing one in your head), and Mufasa, Mufasa, Mufasa! One of the theme songs for "The Lion King" is "Hakuna Matata" which means "no worries" and one of the major themes of the movie is the idea that when you are younger you may avoid responsibility, live life to the fullest, and ONLY take responsibility when you are older. The theme of "The Lion King" quickly became a way of life for many in my generation.

Fast forward to April 2014 when my wife's sister came to visit us in Africa. She brought with her the Disney movie Frozen. Since the movie came out we have seen numerous posts on Facebook and Twitter telling us how awesome the movie is. It is a strange concept to be on the fringes of pop culture looking in and wonder about what everyone is talking about. At times I feel like I'm back in elementary school and everyone is talking about Scream (I know I'm old), but my parents won't let me see it. We were finally able to see Frozen and were not disappointed. The comedy and music were great; however, the themes of humility, love, community and selflessness were evident throughout the movie.

The concepts of love and selflessness which were evident when princess Anna gave her life in exchange for her sister's. The concept of the frozen heart or the fight which is in all of us to not freeze our hearts. The only way to fight the frozen nature of our hearts is through love, community and an act of true love. When we isolate ourselves and attempt to live independently our hearts freeze but when we serve others and live in community our hearts thaw and we exit the "eternal winter" to live in "eternal summer". Frozen is the movie which Disney has been trying to tell for ages and has finally succeeded.

I put Piper to bed after the movie and as I was laying her down I couldn't help but pray for her. I prayed that just as The Lion King helped shaped a generation towards laziness, selfishness, and pride. Frozen would shape Piper's generation to be one of selfless actions made out of love for others. I prayed that Piper would not freeze her heart to community but she would "let it go". She would let go of hate, anger, pride, selfishness, and embrace others through a life of living in community and serving others in selfless actions. She would come to understand like Elsa that the cold DOES bother us and the only way to fight it is with love and community. Not a romantic type of love or true love's kiss but love for others lived out through selfless actions. The world would be a better place if Piper's generation understood, embraced and lived out the themes of Frozen.

Now if you'll excuse me I have to go watch it again.

No comments:

Post a Comment